Bach-In-Roll Assemblies and Classroom Concerts
Bach 'n' Roll Assemblies and Classroom Concerts encourage students to develop a deeper understanding of music. These highly interactive concerts integrate music standards with science, language arts and math concepts, helping students make connections across the curriculum. Each concert aligns with Arizona Academic and/or Common Core Standards.
Bring The Phoenix Symphony To Your School!
Bach 'n' Roll Assemblies (Grades K-8): These performances by large ensembles (20-25 musicians) can be performed in school cafeterias, gymnasiums, and auditoriums and require a minimum stage area of 20’ x 20’. Bach 'n' Roll Assemblies are typically performed for the entire school with two back-to-back 40-minute concerts. For example, Concert #1 may be performed for grades K-3, with Concert #2 performed for grades 4-8. Cost: $600 for non-Title I schools / $400 for Title I schools.
Classroom Concerts (Grades 3-8): Quintets and quartets perform curriculum-based concerts that integrate music with other content areas like science and language arts. Classroom Concerts require a 10’ performance area and can be performed in music classrooms or multipurpose rooms for groups of 100 or less. Classroom concerts are 35 minutes and two concerts may be performed back-to-back. Cost: $250 for non-Title I schools / $150 for Title I schools.
Bach 'n' Roll Assemblies for 2013-2014
String Ensemble: Featuring our wildly popular 20-member String ensemble, these interactive concerts led by Symphony musicians showcase music in a dynamic, fun way. String ensemble programs include:
- The Building Blocks of Music for Grades K-3 (40 minutes) moderated by Laurie Selby, Cellist. Meet the dynamic String family! In these highly interactive, musician-led programs, students are introduced to the four instruments in the string family, learn the science behind how they produce sound and explore the world of the composers who write the music. For Study Guide and alignment to AZ Academic Content Standards, please visit our Curriculum Resources page.
- The Science of Sound for Grades 4-8 (40 minutes) moderated by Mark Dix, Violist. The science behind how a musical instrument functions is fascinating. This concert reinforces scientific principles and vocabulary such as frequency, vibration, amplification and pitch, allowing students to experience these concepts first-hand through the unique lens of music. For Study Guide and alignment to AZ Academic Content Standards, please visit our Curriculum Resources page.
Percussion Quartet: Dive into the bombastic world of percussion with the four percussionists of The Phoenix Symphony. Students are led through an interactive program featuring a variety of intriguing and exotic instruments. The Percussion quartet can perform two back-to-back concerts for grades K-8. For Study Guide and alignment to AZ Academic Content Standards, please visit our Curriculum Resources page.
Classroom Concerts for 2013-2014
Woodwind Quintet f
or Grades 3-8: Reach Out to Music is a brand new ensemble program featuring the Phoenix Symphony Woodwind Quintet. This program blends the traditional audience/performer format with an interactive session in which students become part of their own learning experience. Beginning with the premise that we all use music to tell and discover our own story, Reach Out to Music is about how we can use engaged listening to explore new music and get the most out of the music we like. In Reach Out to Music, the Phoenix Symphony Woodwind Quintet provides students with an intimate and virtuosic music experience while encouraging students to engage with music as critical listeners-not just in the Reach Out to Music session, but beyond as they connect with music of their own choosing. For Study Guide and alignment to AZ Academic Content Standards, please visit our Curriculum Resources page.
Brass Quintet for Grades 3-8: Students will be introduced to the brass family of instruments. For Study Guide and alignment to AZ Academic Content Standards, please visit our Curriculum Resources page.
To make a reservation for a Bach 'n' Roll Assembly or Classroom Concert, click HERE
Study Guides & Education Resources
Study guides for each concert containing connections to AZ Academic Standards, lesson plans and assessment tools will be available to download from our website prior to each performance. Visit the Curriculum Resource area for more information.
The Phoenix Symphony wishes to thank the following sponsors for their generous support of the Classroom Concert program:
- Allen-Heath Memorial Foundation
- Deborah G. Carstens
- City of Glendale
- City of Tempe Cultural Services
- Goodman-Klein-Pinckney Family Foundation
- Nationwide Foundation
- Samuel D. Stearns
- Swift Transportation
- The J.M. Smucker Company
- Western Refining