Job Title: Assistant Librarian
Reports to: Head Librarian
Classification: Regular; Part-Time Hourly
Purpose of the Position:
The Assistant Librarian works with the Head Librarian to prepare music for all Phoenix Symphony performances, ensuring that musicians and staff members have the materials and information needed to perform outstanding concerts.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
With or without reasonable accommodation, and under general supervision, an employee must be able to perform the essential functions of this position, which include:
- Assist the Head Librarian with all aspects of music preparation for all services of The Phoenix Symphony and The Phoenix Symphony Chorus, including editing, proofreading, fixing page turns, marking bowings in string parts, and distributing music to the musicians.
- Attend Phoenix Symphony services, distribute and collect music, assist conductor and musicians with bowing changes or other print music-related needs.
- Work with other staff members and conductors to ensure accurate instrumentations, editions, timings, and other details for upcoming works or works under consideration.
- Assist Head Librarian with music acquisition as needed. Assist with delivery and tracking incoming music, packing and shipping outgoing music, and maintaining shipping records.
- Assist with the maintenance of the orchestra’s collection and parts, as well as the databases of music collection and performance records.
- Assist with the generation of program pages for each concert, including all performance details, and distribute to all musicians and staff.
- Provide for musicians’ special requests, as necessary.
- Assist with the preparation of music for auditions.
The Essential Functions listed are representative, not exhaustive; some may be added, deleted, and/or modified, as organizational needs change.
- Basic knowledge of music theory, history, terminology, orchestral repertoire, and score marking.
- General knowledge of working as an Orchestral Librarian.
- Experience in preparing and marking parts for performance.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with printing and binding music for practice and performance preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work on multiple projects at a time, and prioritize work appropriately.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills, while working with people both inside and outside of The Phoenix Symphony.
- Work both independently and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with OPAS or other similar orchestra planning software preferred, but not required. Familiarity with music notation and editing software preferred but not required.
- Prior orchestra library experience preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Music or Arts Administration. An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to transport music from the library to rehearsal and performance locations.
- Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The description of Working Conditions and Physical Demands is representative, not exhaustive; some may be added, deleted, and/or modified, as organizational needs change.
The Phoenix Symphony is and Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and persons of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran or disability status, or other non-merit factor.