Paint To Music Contest
Paint to Music is a unique partnership between The Phoenix Symphony and Young Arts Arizona that fosters unified creativity in a student’s approach to the aural and visual arts (please visit their website for more information about the organization). Students attending the May, 2020 Symphony for the Schools concert are invited to submit artwork created while painting to music selected from the concert; this year’s musical selection is Beethoven’s Sixth Symphony, Movement 4.
All submitted artwork will be presented as part of a slideshow during The Phoenix Symphony’s performance of Beethoven’s Sixth Symphony, Mvt. 4 at Symphony for the Schools in May 2020. Some artwork will be selected to be featured at a special art gallery opening in the greater Phoenix area and to go on tour with Young Arts Arizona.
We encourage all teachers to facilitate this activity in their classrooms or in partnership with their school’s art teacher.
● Students in grades K-8 are invited to submit paintings for the May concert.
● Artwork should be created while students listen to one or all versions of the music selection below.
● Each piece of artwork submitted must have a completed entry form and release form attached.
○ Entry Form: Download PDF
○ Release Form: Download PDF
● Entries MUST be received by the Symphony no later than March 27, 2020.
The Phoenix Symphony
ATTN: Education Department
One North First Street, Suite 200
Phoenix, AZ 85004
● Full requirements can be found on the entry form.
Paint to Music Selection: Beethoven, Ludwig van, Symphony No. 6, Movement 4.
- https://youtu.be/9PrbLsQ_g7s (Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra)
- https://youtu.be/aRwMxCuagYg (Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra)
- https://youtu.be/-ZVdVuskkKU (London Symphony Orchestra)
Paint to Music Schedule:
March 27, 2020
Artwork submission deadline.
April 24, 2020
Selected artwork announced and incorporated into concert program.
May 12, 13 and 14, 2020
Selected artwork recognized and displayed at each concert.
May 27, 2020
Non-selected entries may be picked up from the Symphony’s offices. Non-selected entries will not be kept after July 1, 2020.
Summer / Fall 2020
Selected student artwork will be on display at a local art gallery. All participants are invited to attend the opening reception. More information will be emailed to each school that submits artwork. Some artwork may tour with Young Arts Arizona, Ltd.
Artwork on tour may be picked up at the Symphony’s offices at One North First Street. Pieces will not be kept after March 1, 2021.