Take a field trip to Symphony Hall!
Symphony for the Schools
The signature program of The Phoenix Symphony provides K-12 public, private, charter, parochial and home school groups an opportunity to attend a world-class concert at Symphony Hall. Our 2017-18 Season includes:
What’s New This Year:
- Collaboration with Phoenix Theatre, one of the premiere arts organizations in the state.
- Students will explore how their talents and abilities can be developed through collaboration, strong effort and persistence.
- In addition to Phoenix Symphony Assistant Conductor Matthew Kasper, the Symphony will be led by nationally-lauded Guest Conductor Stuart Chafetz and Director of Orchestras at Arizona State University, Jeffrey Meyer!
Symphony for the Schools 1 – Collaboration
Collaboration is an essential element of the classroom, in the workplace and on the stage. Join the Phoenix Symphony and guest Conductor Stuart Chafetz as we explore how composers, conductors and performers collaborate to create great artistic results!
October 17, 2017 | 11:45am*
October 18, 2017 | 10am & 11:45am
Symphony for the Schools 2 – Perspectives and Reflections
Military marches become graduation music and compositions about Napoleon's defeat become patriotic American anthems when we change our perspective. Join Assistant Conductor Matthew Kasper and The Phoenix Symphony and discover how changing your perspective leads to new insights, and how music throughout history has reflected different societal issues at different times to help us change our collective perspective. As part of our annual Paint to Music program we will display selected student artwork on screen above the orchestra in Symphony Hall.
January 17, 2018 | 10am & 11:45am*
January 18, 2018 | 10am & 11:45am
Symphony for the Schools 23 - Perseverance
Join special Guest Conductor Jeffrey Meyers and The Phoenix Symphony as we explore how composers in varied contexts have persevered against incredible odds to create great artwork, and encourage students to do the same in their lives.
May 16, 2018 | 10am & 11:45am*
May 17, 2018 | 10am & 11:45am
*Denotes sensory-friendly and relaxed-audience performances
Paint to Music
Paint to Music is a unique partnership between The Phoenix Symphony and Young Arts Arizona (please visit their website for more information about the organization). Students attending the “Perspectives and Reflections” Symphony for the Schools concert are invited to submit artwork created while painting to music selected from the concert.
What You Need to Know Before Making a Reservation:
- Concerts are appropriate for grades K-12 in any type of public, private, charter, parochial, home school or alternative education group.
- Concerts are approximately 45 minutes in length.
- Regular admission is $3 for students and adults (adults include teachers, parents, chaperones, and all other non-students) OR for schools designated Title I by the AZ Department of Education, admission is $1 for students and $3 for adults.
- Concerts take place at Symphony Hall located in downtown Phoenix (unless otherwise noted). Seating is general admission.
- Concert times are either 10am or 11:45am (specify choice on reservation form).
- Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Payment may be made by credit card, check, or purchase order.
Educator Resources (Including Transportation):
We are pleased to offer affordable education programs for students through the aid of various Phoenix Symphony supporters, and wish to thank the following sponsors specifically for their support of the Symphony for the Schools program:
- American Airlines Presenting Sponsor
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
- Edward H. Lane Foundation
- Nordstrom Cares
- U.S. Bancorp Foundation
- Wells Fargo Bank