FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 23, 2017
The Phoenix Symphony Announces 70th Anniversary Season.
The 2017/18 Season offers old favorites, new productions and the debut of
the Harry Potter film series.
PHOENIX,AZ – The Phoenix Symphony is excited to announce the 2017/18 Season and kick off its 70th Anniversary in the Valley of the Sun. This Season is bigger and better with celebratory concerts happening year-round from the debut of The Harry Potter™ Film Concert Series to Sgt. Pepper’s 50th Anniversary to Leonard Bernstein’s 100th birthday in 2018 and, of course, all season-long 70 years of wow with The Phoenix Symphony.
Virginia G. Piper Music Director Tito Muñoz leads this special milestone year with a season filled with exceptional concerts. Classical music fans can expect beloved pieces from Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Dvořák and more. The Pops Series offers fun and fresh performances like Sgt. Pepper’s 50th Anniversary with Classical Mystery Tour and an original, semi-staged production of West Side Story. The 70th Anniversary Season brings thrilling special performances to Phoenix such as the Arizona debut of The Harry Potter™ Film Concert Series to Music of Pink Floyd with Laser Light Show.
“I must say 70 never sounded so good. This year we are celebrating our Platinum 70th Anniversary and we’re looking ahead to the Symphony’s innovative future,” says Jim Ward, President & CEO of The Phoenix Symphony. “We have an exciting lineup featuring an original production of West Side Story in Concert, world premiere works, a commitment to young American composers and the debut of Harry Potter in Concert. Additionally, we’re continuing our new Choose Your Own subscriptions, which highlights something for everyone.”
Highlights from the 2017/18 70th Anniversary Season include:
- Opening Night! Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring opens the 70th Anniversary Season with a bold and colorful program including Tchaikovsky’s expansive Violin Concerto and Leonard Bernstein’s jazz-inspired Prelude, Fugue and Riffs.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets kick off the debut of The Harry Potter™ Film Concert Series. Relive the adventures of Harry and his friends as The Phoenix Symphony performs John Williams’ unforgettable score live with the full movie on the big screen above the orchestra!
- The Rat Pack is Back kicks off this anniversary season with an evening of swingin’ big band era music. Be whisked back into the Sands Hotel Copa Room for your favorite hits including “Come Fly with Me,” “Luck Be a Lady” and “Mr. Bojangles.”
- West Side Story in Concert, a semi-staged and all-new original production, offers a fresh take on Bernstein’s celebrated West Side Story and features acclaimed Broadway vocalists and nationally recognized directors.
- Music of Pink Floyd with Laser Light Show bridges the gap between rock ’n’ roll and classical music under the stars at Mesa Amphitheatre, capturing Pink Floyd’s ethereal musical flow while churning out new musical colors.
- Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony has become a sold-out annual tradition! This majestic and celebrated masterpiece features the famous “Ode to Joy” performed by the Phoenix Symphony, The Phoenix Symphony Chorus and talented soloists.
For more information, visit phoenixsymphony.org